Tuesday, February 12, 2008

 

Uncle Gerry: 1927-2008 R.I.P.

Dear Uncle Gerry:

First of all, I am flattered and gratified that you kept asking about when my sister, Maureen, and I would arrive to visit you.

I am lucky that I was able to spend some quality time with you (as you happily ate, in your words, your favorite food of mashed potatoes, gravy, meat and butter - that butter being on the potatoes as you were a "Wisconsin Yankee!").

Conversing with you during your last supper in your R.V. (or "The Box" as your beloved family calls it) was an honor and a privilege for both Maureen and me. I am still in your debt for your spiritual, physical, and emotional help that you gave to my mother (and me), Sylvia, a few short years ago.

I hope and pray (as have my girls) that you now have a prime seat that would make the horsemen at Santa Anita jealous. Give my love to my Mother, Ida, Ralph, Don, Chuck, Cal and all the rest.......................

While in Wisconsin, thanks for treating my family and me like honored guests as we came through Marengo even though we did not stay in the house. Thanks for allowing my two oldest (when they were three and two) to run up and down the stairs, as I did as a child, while you laughed.

Thanks for coming out and sharing the Rose Parade, the VIP Party and game with me.

Thanks for being there after my Mom died.

Thanks for making Mom (Sylvia) proud by your actions after Uncle Vernon died.

Thanks for offering me Ida's "you know what"... that my mom insisted be framed... may it find worthy hands.

Thank you soooooo much for being FAMILY.

May you rest in peace.

God Bless!
Vivat Jesus

Your nephew,
Matthew J.McKinley
SK/PGK

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Google

Visitors to this page!

WXPort

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?