Tuesday, June 21, 2005

 

War is a Moral Value for Some People

War is not a moral value... or so said the sign hanging from an apartment window on Highland Avenue in Hollywood today. My first thought was, "Well, of course it isn't a moral value." My second thought was, "Of course this idiot is implying that somehow those who support the war on terror are advocating that war is a positive moral value which is an idiotic claim to make about said supporters." (see corrected comment below)

But as I continued my drive to Canter's, my thoughts centered on the war in the Middle East, and I came to the obvious conclusion that for fanatical Islamists, war is a moral value when it is framed in the Koranic concept of jihad. Of course, the enemies of America (who call us the great satan) think they are in a jihad against us.

Of course, it is the person who wrote the sign probably thinks that the 550 or so terriorists being held in Cuba are victims of a Nazi regime. The blame America first crowd needs to take something for their mental illness.

Comments:
I agree with the Aquinian concept of a just war. I should have been clearer on that point; my reaction to the sign was directed at "presumption against war" to which you referred that seems prevalent today and in that sign. What I should have written was, "that somehow those who support the war on terror are advocating that all wars have positive moral value." Since the sign I read was all inclusive, my specific response should have been as well.

Thanks for the correction!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Google

Visitors to this page!

WXPort

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?