Friday, June 17, 2005

 

Graduation

Last night I had to suffer through the latest round of graduation at my place of work. The concept of dignity at such an event takes a greater hit every year. I expect it to be dead by next year.

Every time I wonder as to why so many of our students are ill-behaved and clueless about it, I need only to watch their families in action at graduation to learn "where they got it from."

Clothing - Most of the people in attendance look like they just stopped by after attending the swap meet (and, unfortunately, some of the faculty did not appear in much better duds either). I particularly liked the lady in her brand new West Coast Choppers t-shirt. But at least her shirt fit her properly. The new t-shirt was better than the one spotted later - an old Raider t-shirt. Oh, that crazy Raider nation. I cannot get over the idiots who continue to wear clothing that is four to five times bigger than necessary. These males walk around holding their pants up all night and look like idiots. They think they look fantastic and that I am the idiot. At least I never have to worry about my pants falling down while I am trying to take picture of someone 40 yards away (or more) with an instant camera.

Cell-phones - Yes, I am so glad that several people were more interested in their cell-phone conversations than they were in the National Anthem. Of course, many others simply chatted away during the entire ceremony save when their friend or relative walked across the stage. No need to be quiet for anyone else. "Can you hear me know as the valedictorian finally shut up!"

Boldness - I was in charge of the disabled gate (no, there was nothing wrong with the gate). I have pulled this duty in years past, but this year was the first time where one disabled person needed nine people to help him or her so as to require that the "helpers" sit in the disabled section too. One lady said, "I need to help him, and, besides, I work with the district." Hmmm... I wasn't quite sure which "him" she was referring to since the man I just let through seemed perfectly fine to me, and she was a few moments behind (I'd already shut the gate). She didn't pay much attention to "him" during the ceremony. I think the "I work with the district" line was her updated version of lines she tried to use many years ago: 1) when trying to get in a bar before turning 21, "Oh, it's okay, my boyfriend told me to meet him inside;" and, 2) "I'm with the band."

Air horns - The idiots, both students and those in the stands, who bring air horns and blast them when their name of the moment is announced should be forced to have two air horns blown for one minute in to both ears at the same time... either that, or make the air horn sound their new cell-phone ring tone so that, sooner rather than later, someone will maim them.

Beach balls - I only saw one bounce up from the graduating students... I saw two in the stands.

... and some administrators have deemed this our best senior class ever. Heaven help us!

Comments:
I appreciate your comments. Isn't it amazing that the older we get, the more we sound like our parents (aargh! perish the thought).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Google

Visitors to this page!

WXPort

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?