Monday, March 21, 2005

 

Speaking in Tongues?

As a teacher, my colleagues and I often marvel at the ever changing slang and code in which students speak. Where do they learn such ways? I suggest that they learn it from their parents. Below, I have created a "normal" conversation between a husband and wife in front of their toddlers. The words are changed so as not to over stimulate the children in case the parents decide on something else.

H: Where do you want to go today?

W: I think we should go to B.P. (Buena Park, home of Knott's Berry Farm).

H: Ah! You want to go to the dog park (Camp Snoopy) then?

W: Yes. We need to make sure that we have enough cow juice (milk).

H: Do you think we should take the new choo-choo visual (Thomas the Tank Engine video)?

W: Sure. Let's bring the new Four Australian guys (The Wiggles) as well.

H: Should we defrost the cluck-cluck (chicken), or should we order Italian pie (pizza)?

W: Or we could have P-A-S-T-A (spelled out).

H: Sounds good to me! You know, we could also go to the "C" jump (Creative Leap - an indoor playground). Or even the mouse place (Disneyland), or the place of blocks (Legoland).

W: Okay, well, I will pick dinner, you pick the place we go to today.

Sound familiar?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Google

Visitors to this page!

WXPort

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?