Saturday, October 23, 2004

 

Baseball Doesn't Matter

As I tried desperately to make my remote work, I realized that I would be lucky to get the "last" ("jump" for some of you) to work as the batteries died. Since I have DirecTV, the actual box is not user friendly, and I was hoping that I would "die" on the BSU-FSU game. No such luck. I was stuck with baseball.

I remember when baseball mattered. No, not just when it mattered to me on a very personal level. I LOVED baseball. It was my sport. I was All-League either First or Second Team all three years I played. I had a great senior season in H.S., and even had the chance to play college ball with a scholarship in the offing (and I could have easily played college ball at the non-scholarship level). I chose, what I thought at the time, was the best path of academics over athletics. I still followed MLB and my beloved Angels closely.

But after the last "work stoppage" I just couldn't be bothered anymore. But as I looked back on it, I realized that my "religous" following was one that was conducted via newspapers. I came to realize that the reason why I loved watching the sport so much on TV was that it was not on very often. For me, familiarity and close ups bred contempt.

I used to look forward to the game of the week on NBC with ol' Joe since it was a BIG deal. By the time I was in graduate school, you could watch games every day on cable as the Braves and Cubs televised almost every game on their "super stations." As cable coverage grew from there, my interest dropped. I switched to football.

My interest in the NBA dropped as well. To a degree, my interest in the NHL dropped too.

But I have to admit that I did get a rush during the time that I tuned in to the World Series tonight. I turned on (well, the remote died) at the top of the 7th inning. For those of you who saw the end of the game, you understand what I am writing about in this post.

Even so... it is NOT football. If you get "sort of" hurt, you are done for the game. The man replacing you gets to warm up on the field.

John Kerry is so excited about the Red Sox that he cannot even find his own goose after hunting. He "desiginated" someone else (who doesn't seem to exist) as if he had an American League D.H. rule to follow.

He should be excited about the Patriots. Football fans who are hunters are interested in the kill as well as the sport............

Fight On!


Watching Leinart at QB for SC today was like watching a rusty Todd Marinovich. Thankfully, UW is terrible.

Oh... THE REAL IRISH WON TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BC over ND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... and the rechargeable batteries did just that! So, the remote now works, and I can go to bed!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Google

Visitors to this page!

WXPort

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?